What is the Three Apples Book Award?
In a nutshell, the Three Apples Book Award is a children’s choice award. Children have 100% ownership of this award. All nominations and winners are picked by children. Each year the New York State Library Association (NYLA) partners with the Youth Services Section and the Section of School Librarians to sponsor this award. Three winners are picked each year, Young Readers (Pre K-2nd grade), Children’s (grades 3-6), and Teens (grades 6-12).
How do nominations work?
Starting September 1st, children are encouraged to nominate their favorite book. Here’s the catch…..it can’t be a book that won previously (winners can be found here) and it has to be a specific title not a series. Children can only nominate one title. Nominations are taken up until October 31st and can be done online. Nominations for Young Readers can be submitted here, Children’s here, and Teens here.
What Happens Next?
From the nominations, a list of 15 books with the top nominations is created for all three groups (Young Readers, Children, and Teens). The list is posted in November. In order to vote, children must read (or listen to) at least three books on their list and have until March to do so.
How do you vote?
Voting takes place in public and school libraries throughout New York State. Ballots will be available at the Library and can be done online as well. One vote per child.
When will the winner be announced?
Check the NYLA website on May 10th!
What was nominated in 2018 and what books won?
|Young Reader’s Choice||The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey||Scholastic Inc., 2013|
|Children’s Choice||Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney||Amulet Books, 2014|
|Teen Choice||The Maze Runner by James Dashner||Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 2009|
Why should we do this?
A few reasons come to mind!
- You get to pick what you think the best book is…not your teacher, not your parents, not a librarian….YOU!
- After you nominate your favorite book and see the list of other nominations you may just find a new favorite book and/or author!
- The rules aren’t strict! Any book can be nominated (as long as it hasn’t already won). It can be brand new or an older book. As long as it’s your favorite it can be nominated!
- This is a great way to try books you may never have heard of!
- More trips to your public library! If we don’t have the book you are looking for we will do our best to get it for you.
- Reading is fun!